Sunday, September 1, 2013

Unit 5

1. I had a more difficult time focusing on my breathing in the Subtle Mind practice when I first tried it. I kept falling asleep as I focused on the breathing. It wasn't until I saw a video from another class about focused breathing that I was excited to try it again. The second night I did the Subtle Mind, I felt different, I was able to focus and I was able to breathe without noticing the breath and all the all while not having a thought!!! I felt great because it was for only short periods of time that I could do that. I can't wait for when I can do it for longer periods of time. As for the difference compared to the Loving Kindness practice, this was harder. With the loving kindness, there were feelings of love filling me as I focused on my loved one. Focusing on the breath didn't bring up any types of feeling other than frustration of not being able to stay focused on the breath.

2. The connection of spiritual to mental and physical wellness is very evident in my life. When I lost my child over 10 years ago, I lost my mental faith. I say this because I had always questioned my Catholic faith but I believed because it was what I really learned in my early life. I was born into the Hindu religion and then was raised in the Catholic faith. So, when I lost my child, I was really lost. I had gained a lot of weight and was very depress. I was also in an unhealthy relationship and was anxious all the time, which didn't help. Once I removed myself from the relationship, I was still fat and depressed. I wasn't attending church and my mom at the time wasn't going so there was no support in going just to go. It wasn't until I met a neighbor who invited me to go to a Buddhist discussion meeting that things started to change. Please understand that I was already trying to eat healthier but that wasn't helping me to lose weight alone. It took her a few months to convince me to go. I finally decided to go because I wasn't going to church and I have always been interested in Buddhism. So, when she told me that it was going to be at someone's home and not at at temple, I made the decision to go. The last thing I was looking for was an institution. My experience from that first meeting, which is over 5 years ago, changed my life. As I prayed, read, and got involved my physical well being changed. I understand that it has to do with my spiritual connection to myself and the universe which has transformed my mental, emotional and physical health to a happier and healthier me!

11 comments:

  1. I also lost a child and was in a unhealthy relationship at the time of my son's passing. I gained weight and was very depressed and I could not get myself out of it and took me years, before I did that. Now I try and stay on a more positive track. Your post has helped me with the way I think and I will take a different perspective now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna,
      I am very sorry to hear of your lose. I know that experience has changed me as a person. Each day is an opportunity to make that child proud of you. I have a son now and I take each day as an opportunity to make sure he is proud of me and that he knows I love him. I have found that silent prayer and very good positive people and positive reading material helps :) If you would like to talk outside of the blog, please email me through class website. Megan

      Delete
  2. That's good that you have found a spiritual connection with mental, emotional and physical health. It is great to find something that helps you get a good new start and refresh with a new you. Praying seems to help as well as meditating and breathing. I would say to find something you love and go with it and you will be great at it. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brittney. My practice really gave me a sense of renewal and hope during a very sad part of my life experience. I think it is because of the philosophy of the practice. Megan

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your experience. When one experiences a traumatic event, it affects one's overall health. I'm also happy to hear that you were able to move forwards after your experience.Aside from building a inner peace, building a connection with others is also an important part of wholeness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Daniel. I truly believe the best way to share, learn and grow is through dialogue. I know I feel encouraged and inspired when I hear someone surpassing something I may be struggling with in my life. Megan

      Delete
  4. Thank you, the loss of a child is the most traumatic event and one that stays with you always. I am glad that you are moving toward a more peaceful mind. I too was brought up Catholic but never felt comfortable in the religion. I studied Hinduism while in India and there are parts of the religion I feel comfortable with but I think the Buddhism aligns more closely to me as well.
    I found some difficulty with this exercise as well but I am not sure if it was because I was in an unfamiliar environment and had more difficulty relaxing and focusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, you are very right, it does say with me always. I think it has helped me to become more compassionate in certain situations and it has helped me to help others who are struggling. Do you practice a particular Buddhist practice, there are so many. I truly feel a sense of purpose, mission, hope, determination and courage without guilt or pressure to attain those qualities from within to share with the world.

      I think with time and practice it will become easier to do the meditations. Have you tried Youtube? I found some simple ones there and a few to challenge myself :) Get in a familiar and comfortable environment just don't do what I did. I tried it in my bed and fell asleep! Megan

      Delete
  5. Nice blog post. I am so glad that you pulled through a difficult time. It's always important to be yourself and keep being you. No one can be you.
    I found that the exercises were difficult for me at first too. I also look forward to repeating them and going for a longer time of meditation. It really helps to strengthen us within. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jean, I too have lost a child and am currently facing the possible loss of a second one. I think part of the reason I did not completely lose my mind after my son died is that I did; but it was only on the inside so no one noticed. I kept doing the things I needed to do such as taking care of my other children and keeping up my home; but I felt completely empty inside. I did lose the relationship I had with my son's father, but we are now friends. The thing I remember best about that time was constantly wondering how life could continue when he was no longer in the world. I found myself with little patience for people who did not seem to appreciate their loved ones and the little time they have together. I have reached a place in my life where I have more compassion and love for others and I know that I will be able to handle whatever the future holds.

    ReplyDelete