Friday, September 6, 2013

Unit 6

Personal Assessment



I did the Loving Kindness meditation again and found it easier to focus this time. I have been doing meditations for the fast three weeks now and can actually sit and start focusing on the breath without help. So, as I did the assessment in this meditation pose, I thought about what line of development is most essential for me right now. As the image of doing school worked passed through my mind, I knew that I was growing mentally because of this and spiritually because of my Buddhist practice, so check on psychospiritual. As biological came to mind, I thought about how I am doing my 90 Day Challenge and how it is been a blessing in my life to have a focus for my health. But I wasn’t happy because I didn’t see myself where I physically want to be. So, here is where I stopped to think: what is my current goal? Am I doing all I can to reach this goal? Do I stay focused? What can I do to change in order to stay focused? This is the first part of an assessment. As images and pictures and words came to my mind, the second part of the assessment came to me. I had to think about my interpersonal development. Is this an area that is lacking or holding me back from developing my biological self? If I continue to make progress in my goals, am I developing my worldly self by helping others to become motivated? These are just some of the questions that came to me while doing the assessment.

My answers or reflection: I have made major progress in my physical health in the past three years, take joy in that. I have helped to motivate and encourage others to become healthier in their lifestyles, take joy in that. As I continue on my current challenge, I am further along than where I was two months ago, there is growth, take joy in that but be ready for when this one is done to have another challenge in mind. As for interpersonal, I want and pray for world peace each day because I see the world as “we”. I take action in that by making my family life happy, healthy, and secure. By doing that, I play are part in my community and society. As I support healthy functions in the community and local business owners, I am doing my part to make our city a functioning part in the state. In doing my part there, I work and am very strict when it comes to recycling, so I am doing my part. Can I do more? Absolutely!!

9 comments:

  1. Great post this week :)
    I'm glad you were able to focus this week. I wasn't due to my husband and I moving this week, me starting a new job, etc. I am going to try it again. I really like this class and I think this class will definitely help me learn to take time to focus on myself and live healthier.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and even five minutes in your car or in the bathroom is better than nothing. If you can do it twice a day in one of those places, that would benefit you. I also am enjoying this class. It has helped me to decide to take Reiki classes :)

      Delete
  2. I too am finding it easier to relax, focus on breathing and immerse myself into the exercises. Completing the assessment really allowed me to determine where I needed to expand. I have been working hard for several years on a global level to promote peace and goodwill and to help eradicate polio but there is still more I can do as well. I also actively recycle,buy local foods and try to reduce our carbon footprint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that it is getting easier. I believe that by creating peace in our immediate environment helps to do our part in creating world peace. I am glad that you are doing something globally, I want world peace and it takes a lot of people to get there.

      Delete
  3. Can I do more? Is a great question to ask oneself and I really like to challenge myself to enhance my life. I started eating healthier and was actually able to come off my insulin completely since the start of this class. I also found that the meditation has helped me lower my blood pressure and handle the things that before sent my mind out of control with worries. I actually have found acceptance in my choices and know that I can love myself even though I am not perfect in my eyes. I too found it easier to relax as the weeks come and go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything difficult do change takes small steps and lots of time. Failure isn't a bad thing if you pick yourself up and move on. It is all in how you look at it. I am very happy to hear that you are physically getting healthier and by becoming a master of your mind, you are getting stronger in SO many ways!

      Delete
  4. Megan, I am glad you were able to focus this week, I am still having quite a bit of trouble. Perhaps more practice will help. I love your "Can I do more" question, but even more I love your answer. I too feel like I can always improve somewhere and I am constantly trying to do and be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, Thank you. I have found that it helps me to focus better if I exercise before I sit down to meditate. Maybe do some stretching or gentle yoga? Or even a cup of warm tea without the caffeine of course. I hope that you will try, because there are so many benefits in just trying :)

      Delete
  5. Great post! Can I do more? That is profound to me, and it is a great question to ask ones self when ever stuck at a cross road. This post is encouraging to me as you are recognizing your small accomplishments, but also recognizing your bigger goal.

    ReplyDelete